Social media marketing tips for small business owners.
Using the correct small business hashtags will help entrepreneurs, including Avon Reps, build a following on social media. Otherwise it can be very slow and frustrating to get results. Learn about which small business hashtags to use and tips for social media marketing to get the most traction and followers.
Millions of tweets and posts are sent Every. Single. Day! It’s very easy for your social media posts to get lost and all your efforts to go unnoticed. This is where hashtags come in.
What are Hashtags?
Most of us know, but just in case you don’t, a hashtag is the # sign followed by a keyword or phrase. You can place hashtags in your social media posts to get more people to find your content. Hashtags can be placed in two different places, in the copy of your post or in the comment section.
Hashtags are being used on social media sites like Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, and so on. Keep in mind though, while Instagram lets you use up to 30 hashtags at a time, it’s best practice to only use 1 – 4 hashtags when promoting your small business on Facebook.
Driving organic traffic to your social media profiles and content is called hashtag marketing.
Posts containing searchable hashtags makes your small business profile and content easier to find. It puts you on the radar of people who are actively looking for what you have to offer. For instance, if you are a small business located in Memphis, TN, you might use the hashtag #ShopLocalMemphis to be seen by people that live and shop in Memphis.
Here’s a list of small business hashtags for you:
#shoplocal #shopsmall #smallbusiness #smallbiz #businessowner #smallbusinessowner #setting4success #smallbusinesssaturday #smallbusinesslove #smallbizowner #smallbizlife #womanentrepreneur #startup
It’s a good idea to create a list of categories for your small business hashtags. Keep track of the hashtags that worked well for you in the past.
To get you started I’m sharing a few categories and hashtags that I use in my own social media marketing.
Category 1 – Interests
Examples: #photography #travel #beautyinspired #onlinemarketing
Category 2 – Opportunity
Examples: #makemoney #momlife #earnextraincome #financialfreedom #successseekers
Category 3 – Community
Examples: #beautyboss #jacksontn #avontn #entrepreneur #tourdeforce #avonsilke
Category 4 – Product Industry
Examples: #beautyproducts #fashionfinds #healthyliving #skincareessentials
If you need more hashtag ideas, you can use a site like hashtagify.com. You will be able to search for hashtag popularity, trends and correlations.
It’s good practice to use a mixture of both very active, active and not so active hashtags.
- Very active hashtags are often overused, so it’s easy for your content to get lost in a sea of content. Your content is unlikely to get found by someone searching for your small business with a very active hashtag. There is always a small chance though.
- Somewhat active hashtags still have a good amount of engagement. As long as you have good content to share, you will be seen over time and are less likely to get lost in the crowd.
- Inactive hashtags have the least amount of engagement, but if someone searches for your keyword or phrase you are almost guaranteed to be found. One of my own not so active hashtags is #avonsilke. Someone would have to specifically search for me by my first name to find it. The more content I upload to this hashtag, and the more popular I become as an Avon Rep, the more people will search and find me. I hope this makes sense to you!
In general, most small business owners and entrepreneurs opt to use 1-3 hashtags per post.
Experiment with different types and numbers of hashtags to find the best combination for you and your business. Be sure to connect with me on any of the social media sites listed below.
What is a good hashtag for your small business? Leave me a comment below.
Follow Silke On Social Media
- Facebook Profile > Silke.Jager
- Beauty Inspired Facebook Page > AvonTourdeForce
- Twitter > SilkeJager
- Instagram > AvonSilke
- YouTube > NickJager
- Pinterest > AvonCalling
Are you a current Avon Rep? Join our Avon Networking Group
- Tour de Force Team Facebook Group > TourdeForceTeam
Ready to Sell Avon? Join my Team Today
- Go to > www.StartAvon.com and enter Reference Code: silke